Monday, January 8, 2007

Istanbul, Turkey

Where else in the world can you eat breakfast on the continent of Asia and then 20 minutes later be drinking tea on the continent of Europe!

Istanbul was a blast! Everyone should go visit. This is where Europe and Asia meet.

I had a couple days to spend in Istanbul during a layover. I had some friends living there and visited them. They showed me all over town. Some of my favorite things were visiting the famous Blue Mosque. This mosque is open to visitors. It has a lot of gold in it.

I felt so safe walking the streets of the neighborhood I stayed in. Turkey even has McDonald's, Burger King and Kentucky Fried Chicken. Of course, I didn't eat there -- not when there were so many great Turkish dishes to try. I even drank REAL Turkish coffee underneath a bridge. Here, I also tried fish sandwiches. The fishermen literally took the fish off the hook, stuck in on the grill and handed me the sandwich. For fish - it was pretty good. Other great treats were eating Turkish Delight for the first time. I had no idea there were so many different flavors or kinds. I also had the best bacclava I've ever had in my life. (And there are also different flavors of this sweet pastry.)




No comments: