Thursday, March 22, 2007

Poland

There are just some things that totally blow your mind. I walked around old town in Warsaw, Poland. I saw shop windows with the Star of David. They looked as if they were straight out of a World War II movie about the Jewish Holocaust. Not far from this area of town, I saw a monument to the Jewish children who used the under city sewage system tunnels to escape or hide.

Not far down the road, I visited a Catholic church with a statue of Pope John Paul III.

It blew my mind to think that I was walking the same streets as the Nazis in World War II. I saw houses where Jews hid or were arrested and sent to prison. Then, seeing the Pope’s memorial made me realize that I was in a country that does not know a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The country has survived rough times, but still seeks hope and peace.

My assignment in this country was to follow around Rich. He works with a coffee house ministry. Through this coffee house, a small church reaches out to their surrounding community. They work with a women’s shelter, teach English classes and work with youth.

Rich’s main job is to hang out with the local youth at the coffee house. He spends his nights playing ping-pong, foozball, and making coffee. The youth in the area have nothing to do but smoke and get into trouble. The coffee house provides a safe environment for them to hang out – and hear about Jesus.

A small Bible study group has started from the youth at the coffee house.

Please pray for Rich and his ministry in Poland.

No comments: