Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Bedouin Fun

We were out searching for wise men on camels just a few days before Christmas. We found camels but a Bedouin family found us. They invited us to their home for coffee and tea.

Mohammed, his wife and children, live in the desert. To them, it's the most beautiful place in the world. They love the wide open spaces.

He told us that the government built them small, cement block houses, but they prefer their tent. The government house is used for storage.

While the men drank coffee and stood around, I went inside the cooking tent with the women. There was not much English in this tent, but we were able to communicate through smiles and charades. I learned how to make "unleavened" bread the old fashioned way.

This friendship ended up being an important one for me. Back in town, everytime I ran into problems with men trying to "hit" on me, Mohammed appeared out of no where to be my little guardian angel. His reply to my constant thanks was, "You my daughter's friend, so you my daughter."

No comments: