Friday, January 25, 2008

Mass Funerals

There were two days of peace this week -- well, let me rephrase that -- two days of "almost" peace. These days were set aside so everyone could bury their dead.

In Nairobi, hundreds of people walked down the road holding branches (a symbol of peace). They walked in front of huge trucks loaded down with caskets.

There were around 35 caskets at the mass funeral I attended. Friends carried the casket to a table bearing the dead person's name. The caskets were placed under a tent.

Kenyans then pass next to each casket - weaving in and out. It was total chaos and no "personal space" allowed.

My heart sunk when I heard women wailing. We don't really do that at American funerals, but it is cultural here. Some people are still professional wailors -- just like Biblical times. Anyway, the mood was quite somber.

These people were lifted up as heroes for "the cause." I don't think hero status really comforted the grievng families.

I'm having a hard time writing about what I experienced here. So, you'll just have to experience it through my photos.

No comments: